Wednesday 8 October 2014

My Mother was born in the UK - I am Canadian - I want to get my Dual Citizenship - What now?

Canadian Applying for British Citizenship,
by Descent















A Canadian, first-person guide to submitting FORM UKM, what the process was like,
and what you should expect.


The year is 2014 - and I have pondered getting my British Citizenship in the past - but it looked rather daunting, and expensive 10 years ago.  But now it says form UKM fees are £80 (GBP), all-in.  So I have decided to start the process.

In the past I had looked for other Canadian's in my position, who had written about their experience online, but found limited information.  So I have decided to outline my process, to give other Canadian's peace of mind, and hopefully encourage and help some other fellow Canadians to get their valuable UK citizenship.

This BLOG will help you to understand the FIRST PERSON POV of the process of applying, but only if you have already downloaded and read GUIDE UKM, and FORM UKM.

I download the current FORM UKM and GUIDE UKM, and notice I am missing documents that I need in the requirements.  This is why I had abandoned all hope in the past, because I figured my mom had to apply for all sorts of papers before I could apply. 

The GUIDE UKM states that you need to send the following documents in with FORM UKM:

--------------------------------------------------------
Please send the following documents:
● Your passport; and
● Your full birth certificate; and
● Your mother’s full birth certificate; and either
● Her certificate of naturalisation or registration as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (or, before 1 January 1949, as a British subject); or
● Papers showing her legal adoption; or
● Her expired citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies passport
--------------------------------------------------------

All I have is my mothers birth certificate - no citizenship papers or passport for Great Britain, because she was so young when she moved to Canada, that she traveled on her parents passport.  So my mother emailed the HOME OFFICE, and they sent back an email saying that it should be okay, so long as we provide her original birth certificate, and write a cover letter stating why the other pieces are missing. 


SUBMITTING FORM / SENDING DOCUMENTS

Sending Form UKM and Supporting Documents
Sent from Canada, via FedEx
September 15, 2014


I filled in the FORM UKM, and sent:
● My current, original Canadian passport; and
● My full birth certificate; and
● My mother’s full birth certificate

I sent this via FedEx Priority to Liverpool, and received an email from the Home Office within 24 hours of the shipment being delivered.

FedEx was probably the most expensive option, but also has a very good track record, and I did not want to risk losing my original documents, so I forked out the money for good shipping. 

Then within a week I received a piece of mail from the Home Office via Royal Mail, and they said they are now processing the application.

So far, I was very impressed with the level of assurance, and organization - and it kept getting better.

I received an email that week, from a gentleman named Steve, who was processing my application - Steve regretfully informed me that I had sent my SHORT FORM original birth certificate, but he needed the LONG FORM, to process my application - but he said I can get this and scan it, since I have provided everything else. 

I contacted SERVICE ONTARIO, and ordered a long-form certificate, using 5-day priority upgrade for $30 extra dollars ($65 CAD total for the Long-form, with priority).  The certificate arrived in 2.5 days, and I was very impressed with the SERVICE ONTARIO process.

I have sent the scanned copy to Steve this afternoon, via email, and should hear from him tomorrow, as the offices are 5 hours ahead, and he had probably gone home for the day - So I will likely wake up to a pleasant email from Steve, indicating that he is proceeding with my application.

So far I give the UK Home Office 10/10 for their service, organization, and care with regards to the processing of my application.  Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow, they have good news about proceeding with my application.

You can follow the rest of my posts about the process, as I go along - Hopefully soon I am approved, and I can outline the booking of the CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY for everyone.  I am in Toronto, so I will do my best to outline the acceptance process, and how to go about signing up for a ceremony.  I imagine it will be at the British Consulate on Bay Street, but I may be wrong.

***UPDATE
The case worker at Home Office Nationality has informed me that he has received the LONG-FORM birth certificate, and that my application has now been processed - I will update with another post once I hear back - I am not sure when they send back confirmation and documents, but I will outline all of this once it unfolds.


CONFIRMATION LETTER - APPLICATION SUCCESSFUL

Confirmation of Successful Application
Sent from UK Visas and Immigration, via Royal Mail, October 9, 2014
Arrived in Canada October 22, 2014


I received a letter from the case worker who had been in contact with me via email throughout the whole process.  In the package was all my documents that I submitted: Passport, birth certificates, etc. 

I am very pleased with the fact that ONE case worker was assigned the file, and took great care in following up with me, especially when my long-form birth certificate was needed.  I have posted a copy of the letter so you know what to expect, but blocked out names, emails, and signatures. 


To summarize, they will notify me by mail of the citizenship ceremony, and if I do not hear from them within 6 weeks to contact them.  I believe they pass the file off to the Canadian Consulate, the the consulate contacts you re: the ceremony, but I could be wrong.  I will post more details of the ceremony invitation, and the ceremony, when the time comes.


CEREMONY LETTER HAS NOT ARRIVED AT 6 WEEKS - WHAT NOW

Confirmation of Successful Application was sent from UK, via Royal Mail, October 9, 2014
- Today's Date is November 21, 2014. 


6 Weeks have passed since I received the successful application letter.  As stated in the letter, if 6 weeks passes, you are to notify Citizenship Support via email, and they will look into it. 

I emailed Citizenship Support on the evening of November 20, 2014 - I received a call from the British Consulate in Toronto by 10:00am on November 21, 2014.

I spoke with a really nice woman, and she told me when and where my ceremony would be, and is processing a confirmation to me via email.

Although the 6 weeks lapsed, I would say the amazing and prompt service makes up for it.  I was very happy to get a call the next day, after emailing Citizenship Support.  The whole process up to this point has far exceeded my expectations.

The nice woman from the British Consulate in Toronto sent me a confirmation letter, with details about bringing guests, and proper photo ID (for anyone attending, guests/applicant).




The ceremony is booked for December 5, 2014 - I am very excited to officially become Canadian/British!


CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY AT THE BRITISH CONSULATE GENERAL

(SHOW UP 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO YOUR CEREMONY, AND DO NOT FORGET TO BRING PHOTO ID TO THE CEREMONY)
The ceremony was very nice, and intimate.  Myself and four other applicants, as well as guests, were in a small ceremony room, where we would get a card with an option of a religious oath, or a non-religious pledge. 

A nice woman from the British Consulate officiated our ceremony.  Individually we went up, and recited the Oath/Pledge with the officiator.  Upon completing the oath, we shook hands, and she congratulated me on becoming a citizen of the United Kingdom. 

Once all of the Oath/Pledge recitals were finished, they gave us a personalized folder, with our Certificate of Citizenship registration, as well as information about the consulate, UK-Canada Business relations, etc.

Here is a picture of me, just after becoming a citizen of the UK.  I am very proud :)










16 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting about your process. Did you fall into the "born before Jan. 1 1983" category? I understand there are different rules if you were. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going through the UKM form now (born to a UK mother before 1983) - They have changed the process somewhat in that you now require biometrics. My dates thus far:

    July 24 Letter sent express post to Liverpool from Toronto
    Aug 4 Liverpool Nationality Directorate charged by Visa
    Aug 15 Received all my documents back from Liverpool, along with a letter to schedule biometrics. Letter was dated Aug 5, postmarked Aug 11.
    Aug 20 Completed biometrics (at bloor/bay). Takes 30mins - try to get a booking early in the day as they can get way behind. This was the earliest date I could book the biometrics appt.

    I am now waiting for next steps.... I will advise what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going through the UKM form now (born to a UK mother before 1983) - They have changed the process somewhat in that you now require biometrics. My dates thus far:

    July 24 Letter sent express post to Liverpool from Toronto
    Aug 4 Liverpool Nationality Directorate charged by Visa
    Aug 15 Received all my documents back from Liverpool, along with a letter to schedule biometrics. Letter was dated Aug 5, postmarked Aug 11.
    Aug 20 Completed biometrics (at bloor/bay). Takes 30mins - try to get a booking early in the day as they can get way behind. This was the earliest date I could book the biometrics appt.

    I am now waiting for next steps.... I assume its the ceremony booking. I will let you know how this works out in terms of schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all tat info Kevin! So what is the biometrics portion for, to get your passport? What's entailed in the biometrics stuff? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My UKM form and supporting documentation was delivered via UPS on August 21st and my credit card was only just now charged (September 15th). Not sure why they've taken this long to begin the process but it doesn't bode well for me getting my passport back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello "Mr. Canadian Guy"..Haha...
    I am getting ready to send out all forms and fees, and I am in the identical scenario (except being a U.S. citizen), including my mother not being able to find her British passport as she left almost 60 years ago. 2 questions for you...1) Do you think the applying from U.S. citizenship will be an issue and... 2) Can I send in copies of mine and my mothers FULL birth certificates as opposed to the originals?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I don't have to fill in my British grandparents' information if I have my British mother's informaiton, right? And do they send back ALL the documents including the expired passport?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting this! It was very helpful and reassuring! I am beginning the process and had some questions!

    ReplyDelete